Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lost car?


Back in 1997 in Gisborne I had an unusual incident which I am still slightly embarrased about.

I always cycled to work but this particular day I drove the car. The car was low on fuel so on the way I stopped at the local Mobil petrol station. The forecourt attendant served me, we had a chat then I proceeded to work it was around 7.50am.

The day went as any normal day until around 1pm when Sarah (my wife) phoned to see if I could pick her up from work around 4pm.
I thought I had my bike as the car was not outside the office.
Sarah was very insistant that I had the car yet I couldn't see it.
I was confused.
It suddenly dawned on me where it was. I was horrified, shocked, you name it every emotion went through me.
I thought of the invoice for lost revenue I would recieve from Mobil.
I arrived at the Mobil garage very red faced.
The car still as I had left it.
Every time I filled with Petrol I was reminded by the forecourt staff.
Just as well I moved South I guess.

Image: 'Lost Volvo'
www.flickr.com/photos/89672898@N00/50162555

3 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

OMG, you're such a wally!

Lisa Barrett said...

I can sympathise. I was playing at the Birmingham conservatoire. I dropped my youngest at the time (I have plenty more now)at Nursery then went home did some practice and decided to get there early. Went outside the house and someone had stolen the car. I was hysterical. I rang my husband who was working at that time and told him he had to come home immediately as my concert was really important. Once he calmed me down he felt it impossible our car was stolen off the drive and went through my morning. He said, wasn't it raining when you left so you took the car? Me "No way I always walk" Ok I'll come home he said. 2 mins later he rang me back. He had spoken to the Nursery and my car was still in the carpark. I'd walked home leaving it there.
We are in a very exclusive club of people here. Don't tell anyone.

Anonymous said...

It's great to know that I'm not the only one that the men in white coats could be looking for!